Monday, December 5, 2011

Let it slide

A few weeks ago, a friend wanted to go to the New Museum to see their "Experience" exhibit not so much because we are aficionados of cutting edge art as because we wanted to ride their three-story slide. However, when we rolled in at 2 in the afternoon, we discovered that we were not the only slide-loving people in New York and that particular exhibit had an hour and a half wait. So instead we went and got donuts. We are, if nothing else, people who appreciate life's simple pleasures.

At any rate, this preamble is all to say that this past weekend I was much more dogged in my pursuit of experiencing art through attractions more often seen on playgrounds. I insisted friends arrive by 11 (the museum's opening time) and that I would bring donuts lest we get distracted. I correctly deduced that the type of people who go the New Museum are likely the same people who don't like to get up early on Sunday morning. I deduced correctly and my friends and I (well, at least those friends who didn't bail because they preferred not to get up early on a Sunday morning) were part of the first 10 people in line. We were informed that the "psycho tank" was closed because the heater was broken. Apparently, this is a part of the exhibit where you float naked in a sensory deprivation tank, which seems very much just like a regular elevated hot tub, but I guess it's cool because seldom are you invited to disrobe in a museum. We were willing to overlook it's closure; however, and accept that we would have to go home and "float weightlessly" in our bathtubs to compensate. Thus, after signing a few waivers, we were soon once again slide-bound!

Actually before he hit the slide, we made a concerted effort to appear to look at other art first. We were some of the few people who stopped for a couple of turns on the random mirrored carousel that was adjacent to the slide entrance. This meant that we allowed a good 10 people to slide first, but having paid $16, we wanted to patronize the exhibit to its fullest.

Note that all the other chairs are empty. Some people have no respect for interactive art that does not require a helmet.

My friend embarking on her slide voyage. This photo and that previous sentence just made me realize how lame this post is.

This was the next floor down (the 4th floor). You could watch people sliding through. This person was not one of my friends, but he/she is a good stand in. I think that's pretty much what we looked like.

Here we are at the slide's endpoint (on floor 3). My friend and I are standing by that blue baby gorilla for scale (well for scale of the slide, it's hard to tell how large the baby gorilla is, but, based on my knowledge of primates, I'd say assume it's about life sized).

Okay, I hate to disappoint, but this final photo will have no slides to speak of in it. In fact, the rest of the exhibit was a photographic snooze, so this last photo wasn't even taken on the New Museum premises. However, I have to include it because it's the bacon and kale quiche I made last night. It's one of the better things I've done with my life.

It's just hard to go wrong with bacon and kale.

I hope you all had excellent weekends as well! I'm going to try to depart from my usual, "let's talk about what I did this weekend" commentary. I'm not sure what I'm going to replace it with though, so stay tuned. If I don't update...it's because I'm still thinking of ways to make myself more interesting.

4 comments:

  1. This post was extremely interesting. Over the weekend I went to a craft fair, ta da! That would have a way less interesting post, I promise. I also made dairy free butternut squash ravioli! FYI, way too much trouble to make your own pasta, and I made it too thick. But the filling was awesome and the left over filling will be a tasty soup. Thanks for the great idea, fafner's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today's NYT had an article about someone in Vermont who makes tee-shirts that say "Eat More Kale." Chik-Fil-A is going after him! Apparently he's fighting it on principal, but is not exactly a kale fan. Perhaps he needs your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn--glad it turned out well! I've never tried doing the pasta method (because I don't have a machine), but it's hard to beat the ease of wonton wrappers. They're even in the right shape!

    Anon--I read that article too! It reminded me of my vegetables are friends days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was NOT lame! You seriously come up with the most random/awesome things to do. I like the picture of you on the carousel. It looks artsy. Oh and speaking of quiche, I had a yummy one at La Madeline yesterday. I'm sure yours was equally divine.

    ReplyDelete